Published on 12/20/2019
If you recently got a traffic ticket in North Carolina, you're not alone. According to "The News & Observer" reporting, over half a million drivers received a traffic citation in North Carolina in 2017, and those numbers only seem to be going up! Naturally, you might be thinking "what would happen to my insurance premiums if I just pay my ticket off?" We're here to help shed some light!
So what do you do with your ticket? Pay it (👎)? Hire a lawyer (👍)? Go to Court yourself (😐)? Whatever you choose to do, we wanted to share some information about how your NC traffic ticket might impact your insurance rate if you choose to simply pay it (same as accepting fault).
All of the information below is taken from North Carolina's Department of Insurance. Insurance impacts may vary depending on your home state (we recommend contacting your home state DMV or traffic attorney to see how your ticket might affect you).
Expected Insurance Hikes:
Note: insurance increases typically last for 3 years!
- Generic Moving Violations (red light, stop sign, etc.): 30%
- At-fault Accidents: 30 - 45%
- Speeding: 30-80%
- Speeding 10 mph or less over a speed limit under 55 mph: 30%
- Speeding 10 mph or less over the speed limit in a speed zone of 55 mph or higher: 45%
- More than 10 mph over the limit at a total speed between 55 mph and 76 mph: 45%
- Speeding in excess of 75 mph when the speed limit is less than 70 mph: 80%
- Speeding in excess of 80 mph when the speed limit is 70 mph or higher: 80%
- Reckless Driving: 80%
- Passing a Stopped School Bus: 80%
- Driving by a person less than age 21 after consuming alcohol or drugs: 80%
- Driving While License Revoked: 195%
- Aggressive Driving: 195%
- Driving While Intoxicated (DWI/DUI): 340%
To find out how an experienced traffic lawyer can help you avoid or minimize your insurance impact, feel free to browse our site, or call us for a free consultation. Or, simply return to our signup page and hire your attorney in as little as 5 minutes!
Call: (919) 200-0822
Hire: Click Here