If you are not sure how to update your NC registration, you can find more information on the NC DMV website.

What if you are unable to update your registration?

There are some alternatives that may be accepted depending on the nature of your case and situation. Listed below are some common alternatives for people who are unable to update their car’s registration.

1. Tags Receipt

If you no longer drive your vehicle, you can provide documentation that you turned in the vehicle's tags to the DMV. Typically this will be in the form of a receipt from the DMV. More information about turning in your tags can be found here. Please note that you may need to make property tax payments for your registration before you can obtain this receipt.

2. MyDMV Profile

If you are licensed in North Carolina and received the Expired Registration charge in a vehicle that was not yours, and you cannot contact the vehicle owner to ask them for the updated registration, or if the vehicle was previously yours but isn’t currently, you may be able to obtain a copy of your MyDMV Profile. Your MyDMV Profile should show all vehicles listed in your name - and therefore show you do not own the vehicle. Please note, if the DMV has not been informed that you no longer have the vehicle, the vehicle may still be listed under your name and therefore the MyDMV report may not be usable and you will need to obtain one of the other documents listed here.

To obtain a copy of your MyDMV profile, click here and log in with your driver’s license number, date of birth, and the last four digits of your social security number. Next, check the vehicles listed under your name, and then print to PDF, or print and scan the document and upload it to your case profile, or email it to our office. Our staff may be able to assist you if your computer does not have a print to PDF function.

3. Bill of Sale

If you have sold your car, please provide a clear picture of the bill of sale.

4. Total Loss Documents

If your car was totaled in a collision and you filed a claim with your insurance, your insurance company should be able to provide documentation that your car was a total loss.

5. Repossession Documents

If your car has been repossessed by your lender because of missed payments, you may need to contact the entity or bank that repossessed your car and request a letter stating that your car has been repossessed.